Friday, June 29, 2012

S'mores with Homemade Graham Crackers



A couple of weeks ago my sister sent me a text with a picture of the cover of her latest MS Living magazine and asked if I could bring over some homemade graham crackers that we could make s'mores with.  Since she had just had a baby {a 10 pound baby...with no drugs!} - how could I say no?
I don't subscribe to the magazine, but I found a Martha Stewart Graham Cracker recipe online, and decided to go with that.  {Later, upon comparing the online recipe and the magazine recipe I found that they are the same ingredients, but slightly different baking directions.}
The dough is a little bit harder to work with, it crumbles and cracks easily.  And with all the rolling and cutting, I was half hoping that maybe these wouldn't be that good, and I wouldn't want to make them again.  After all, it's so easy to just rip open a bag graham of crackers to make a s'more with.
They were amazing.  My family loved them.  So much so, that a week later, I was making them again; for my baby sister.  Who came to visit from across the country and heard about these delicious s'mores we'd had and wanted to try them.  How could I say no?
So if you have a sister who just had a baby, or a sister visiting from far, far away, or are just a crazy s'more addict {like myself}, these are so, so worth the effort.  They will take your s'mores to a whole new level.  And I found a few steps that I could skip or change that it made the process a bit easier {my adapted, easier version is below}.  {And if you have a square-shaped cookie cutter, it would probably be even easier!}


Homemade Graham Crackers {for S’mores}

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for working
  • 1 cup whole-wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup untoasted wheat germ
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1 cup unsalted butter, softened (2 sticks)
  • 3/4 cup packed light-brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons high-quality honey


Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350ยบ.  Whisk flours, wheat germ, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon in a medium bowl; set aside.
  2. Put butter, brown sugar, and honey into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; mix on medium speed until pale and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Reduce speed to low. Add the flour mixture, and mix until combined.
  3. Turn out dough onto a well-floured surface, and divide in half. Roll out one half of dough to about 1/8 inch thickness. Trim edges of dough with fluted pastry wheel to form a rectangle. Using fluted pastry wheel, divide into 3-inch squares. {Save your scraps to re-roll}. Using a star cookie cutter, cut shape out of center of every other square. Transfer squares to a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper {the crackers do not expand much – they can be close together – not touching though!}.
  4. Bake, rotating halfway through, until dark golden brown, 9-12 minutes {I actually like mine less crispy, so 9 minutes was good for that – go longer for crispier}.  Let cool on sheet 5 minutes; transfer crackers to wire racks to cool completely.
  5. Repeat with remaining dough and your scraps.  



S'more Tips:

  • The chocolate is best slightly melted.  Set your chocolate on the bottom half of the graham cracker and put it close to the fire while roasting your marshmallow.  This is easier if you have a pie iron you can set it in.
  • My sister tried this using salted caramel chocolate and said it was divine - experiment with those s'mores!


Source: slightly adapted from Martha Stewart

2 comments:

  1. you are simply the best. and it's about time for more s'mores! plus you have to try it with the new chocolate...

    ReplyDelete
  2. just commented on marla's blog that these pics make me want a glass of milk (to go w/ the s'mores, of course). see you at the pond soon!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...