Monday, March 12, 2012

Coffee Toffee Bars


I still remember the very first time I ever tried these bars.  It was a few years ago at my Gramma's house.  My sister had made them and brought them along on the two hour car ride, but they were still warm when we ate dessert thanks to her handy insulated carrier.  {Get one of these handy insulated carriers if you don't have one - they are great!  These are super cute - the one I have is Pyrex brand.  And red.  It works great. Not sure what brand my sister uses.}  I could have eaten the entire pan of them!  Toffee & coffee are two of my favorite flavors, and mixed together - heaven!!
I now make these often and everyone loves them.  Even people that aren't big on coffee-flavored things really like them.  {Except probably Cait - sorry Cait that I love coffee flavored desserts so much and leave you with nothing to munch on}.

Coffee Toffee Bars

Ingredients:
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon instant coffee {up to 2 tablespoons for more flavor  - I always do 2}
½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoons salt
2-½ cups flour
1 cup chocolate chips {up to 2 cups for the chocolate lovers - I keep mine closer to 1 cup}

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350ºF.  Grease a 9x13 pan {or a jellyroll pan if you're doubling it}.  In a stand mixer, cream together the butter and brown sugar until light & fluffy.  Mix in the vanilla extract, instant coffee, baking powder and salt until blended.  Add flour and mix in to make a stiff dough.
Press dough into prepared pan and sprinkle chocolate chips on top.
Bake at 350ºF for 20 to 25 minutes.
Cool slightly, cut into bars and enjoy!


The original recipe calls for almond extract, but I am not a fan of almond extract {to me, the flavor reminds me of maraschino cherries}.  In fact, the first time that I made these, I used almond extract and wondered what in the world happened to these bars that had been so yummy when my sister made them.  Finally figured out it was the almond extract.  But feel free to use almond if you like it.


Source: barely adapted from Tasty Kitchen

3 comments:

  1. ooooo i want these right now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished these right now and they are fantastic! Thank you for sharing. XO

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...